Friday, May 4, 2012

Rohan at the Louvre

This book is a spin-off short story by Jojo's Bizarre Adventure mangaka, Hirohiko Araki. Not being familiar with JJBA, I didn't really know what to expect. I pretty much bought it solely because I was impressed by the full color art that I witnessed in NBM Publishing's sample pages. I'm glad I took the chance, because Rohan at the Louvre is worth it for the art alone. That's not to say that the story didn't contribute to it's worth.

Rohan at the Louvre tell the story of a young mangaka that travels to France after being intrigued about the tale of a cursed painting using the blackest ink ever known that he heard from a mysterious, young woman. At the Louvre, Rohan finds that his seemingly simple trip to view a painting may have been more than he bargained for.

A shorter manga book than I am used to(only 128 pages), I would have liked for it to be longer, but despite the short length, it manages to introduce you to our main character, get the story underway, and bring the story to a close in a natural manner.

For me, the main appeal here is the gorgeous artwork. The book is published in full color in a large, 10"x7" format that displays the art wonderfully. Araki has an art style that I can only describe as "Roman statues turned fashion models", that I really dig. Sometimes the characters even do fashion model poses out of nowhere.

I bought this book for the art, and it delivered. The nice little story is a bonus.

No comments:

Post a Comment